Thursday, December 17, 2009

It's Time To Get Back To Crochet -- (Posting, that is)


Please Click on the picture to enlarge and see the text within the picture.


It's been a while since I posted anything regarding crochet, so to get back on blogging, I'm posting my current crochet WIP. I'm posting instructions on how to make this scarf. The main body of the scarf is simple to make but the lace edging will be more complicated. I will post instructions for a simplier edging for those who finds the lace edging so complicated. Above is a photo of starting row. You increase the length of the scarf by doing as many rows to accomplish the desired length. The lace edging is done after the main body of the scarf is completed.

I like the __Ch1__as in sc-ch1-sc or esc-ch1-esc combination because it is fast and makes crocheted fabric that is very flexible and drapeable, specially, when you use this combination stitch technique with soft yarns such as Caron Simply Soft. This stitch combination is appropriate for making garments, however, I would not recommend it for items that will be tugged on or pulled such as baby blankets or other items that needs to be firm or stable such as place mats etc. The stitches on the main body of the scarf are worked on fl(front loops) only and are loosely made.

Materials:

Yarn: Caron Simply Soft, worsted, wt=med.(4); 1 skein of 6oz/170g; 315 yds/288 meters
Crochet Hook: Boye G/6-4.25mm
Gauge: 5 stitches = 1 inch; 2 rows = 1 inch (unstretched)

Stitches Used: Ch, Sc, Esc(same as dsc), Dc

Crochet Terms and Abbreviations used:

ch = Chain

sc = single crochet

esc(dsc)= extended single crochet (dsc =double single crochet)

ch1fl =chain-one front loop, this is created by the ch1 between 2 esc(s). For short this would be referred in this pattern as simply fl.

Sk = skip

sp = space

lp = loop

Sl = slip stitch

nx = next

St = stitch



The Pattern

Foundation chain = Ch29 + 3 (turning chain)

R1 esc on 4th chain from hook. *ch1, sk1 ch, esc nx st (ch)*. Repeat from* to* until there are 16 esc posts. Ch3, turn.

R2 *esc on next front loop, ch1*. Repeat from * to * until there are 16 esc posts. Ch3, turn.
Note: Please refer to the photo above to identify the fl (front loop to which the hook is inserted for making the esc(s).

Repeat R2 as many times needed to complete desired length. I'm a petit woman so I made a total of 96 rows. The scarf will hang a little bit below my waistline.

This is all for now. The edging instructions will be posted on my next post.

A note on where I learned the dsc or esc stitch: Encyclopedia of Crochet by Donna Kooler. This is really a good book with beautiful photo of different stitches and instructions for doing crochet stitches for both lefth-handed and right handed crocheters.

I hope you try this wonderful stitch combination. This is mainly the technique I've used on all the shawls and scarves that I've made.

No comments:

Post a Comment