Saturday, September 2, 2017

Tips For Beginning Crocheter -- How To Read And Follow Written Crochet Instructions

Crochet Pattern Instructions are usually made up of series or string of instructions within a single sentence and the best way to understand and follow it is to read and do one string of instruction at a time.  The string of instructions are usually separated by comas or semicolon and end in period at the end of the sentence.  Begin by reading and doing from coma to coma or from coma to semicolon or to period.  This action is similar to taking small bite of food so that it can easily be chewed.

Reading a Crochet Pattern Instructions alone does not make sense.  It is hard to understand crochet commands or instructions unless they are followed word for word in proper sequence within the string of commands.

Skipping one or two commands or instructions is a common mistake because they are so similar and hard to distinguish from one to another.  It is easy to get lost within the series of instructions.  The way I minimize error due to this fact is to use lead pencils or see through labels which I use as markers for current string of command I'm currently doing.  I move the label to the next string or if using pencil I check mark the end of the string I completed, before I start the next string of command.
See photo below.

On Round 1 of this pattern, there are 4 strings of commands indicated by red numbers and brackets.
The strings are separated by comas, and period.  The commands must be followed word for word from 1 to 4 in sequence.  Note the yellow transparent label that I placed over string of command #1 to indicate the current command or instruction that I'm doing.    I don't worry about the next command until the current one is done.

Crochet Pattern Instructions is either for projects that are made up of crocheted rows or the project is crocheted in the rounds.

Crocheted rows require turning the work right side up then wrong side up alternately.
Crocheted rounds start at one point and ends in the same point.  A marker is usually used to mark the beginning/ending point.

This is all for now.  I hope this post is of some help.  Thank you for stopping by.

My next post will be "How To Understand The Language Of Crochet."





No comments:

Post a Comment